Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the general questions are relevant across retreats. Questions such as How do I get there? What level and type of Yoga are taught? What’s included in the price? What other activities are there? will be found under specific retreat pages. If you have any questions about any of our retreat, do not hesitate to contact us.
What is a Yoga Retreat?
It is an opportunity to explore yourself through your practice. We are a busy people these days, with all the distractions and diversions that surround us, it is hard to look inward, relax, and fully take advantage of what yoga has to offer. A yoga retreat offers you the chance to get away from the normal routines and customs of everyday life, which allows for a valuable perspective onto ourselves.
Often, people have to schedule time off of work to attend a retreat, that is why they often take place in exotic locations, which allows for the benefit of a unique vacation experience in combination with deepening your yoga practice. However we offer retreats withing the US, that may be only a couple hours road trip away.
Whichever type of yoga retreat you seek, we hope to provide that selection that meets your need at this time of your life. Retreat can be life changing no matter where they take place.
Are yoga retreats for everyone?
Yes! You do not need to be a yoga rock-star or flexible like a pretzel to fully enjoy a retreat. Retreats often vary in their specific yoga styles, and amenities, but they are often more similar than not when it comes to accommodating all levels of practitioners. What is more important than showing up limber as a cat is showing up with an open mind, ready to explore yoga and yourself.
Can I go on a Retreat by myself?
Most do! Yoga retreats can be great for couples, friends, and families, but the majority of retreat takers go solo. The reason is that yoga retreats are by definition a get away. A retreat away from the norm. People who attend yoga retreats tend to be respectful, community-driven, and generally well centered, so its a great place to make new friends. It also allows one to find their own grove again, or just relish in being in their own personal space.
What should I bring to a Yoga Retreat?
When my husband and I travel, we always ask each other: “Do we have passports and credit cards?”. That’s all you ever really need, but it might be nice to have a few extras that you can’t easily find where you’re going.
- A good inspirational book
- A journal to process and write down your thoughts
- Refillable water bottle
- Reusable shopping bag (handy for toting around odds and ends around the retreat center, or getting groceries from a local market).
- Appropriate clothing for the country/weather. Be mindful of local customs. Most yoga retreats are in warm-weather conditions, so warm weather clothes and swim wear is usually handy (a flattering swimsuit can be hard to find!).
- A few changes of yoga wear – most retreats offer yoga classes at least twice a day (mornings and evenings).
- Yoga mat
- Extra yoga props if you need them (e.g., strap, block, cushion). Most retreat centers provide them though.
- Good walking shoes for hikes or general traveling about. And sandals for beach destinations.
- Ear plugs
- Insect repellent
- Passport and copy of passport in a separate place for international travel
How may I list my retreat on this site?
Listing a retreat on Retreat Place is free. Simply go to our List a Retreat page. Set aside some quiet time, pour yourself a cup of tea, and fill out the information. We will review your listing, contact you with any questions and send you a link to your retreat page for you to review. If the process is too complicated for you, please feel free to email us the information of your retreat and we will be happy to enter it for you.